Thursday, July 16, 2015

Touch Wood




Mum was pretty superstitious in her days.  Whenever someone complimented her especially on how well she looked, she would say "Touch Wood!" and give the table a couple of hard knocks.  I soon learnt from her that saying "Touch Wood" keeps bad luck away. I have also caught this habit from her and so it's not unusual for my speech to be punctuated with "Touch Wood" accompanied by a few knocks.  My friends think I'm queer especially when there's no wood close by and I have to rap the nearest substitute, most of the time the wall or even the plastic chair I'm sitting on.  Then again it makes them laugh and making people laugh is the greatest service one can do for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
"God gives us a pencil for the book of life but He alone holds the eraser."