Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Kissing the Ugly Frog





This is another of my favourite stories from the book "Good? Bad? Who Knows?" by Ajahn Brahm.

Once upon a time, a poor young maiden in rags was collecting firewood in the snow-covered forest to heat her draughty little hut.  There among the fallen wood, she saw the ugliest of frogs that had ever existed.  "Urghh!" she shrieked.  "I think I'm gonna throw up!"

Then the grotesque frog spoke: "Please don't throw up yet.  Help me instead.  I am really an unfortunate boy who has had a spell put on him by a wicked witch who did not like my music.  Kiss me and the spell will be removed.  In return I will make you wealthy and be your servant."

So the poor girl closed her eyes and kissed the frog.

The frog didn't turn into a Prince because these days royalty have too many bodyguards for wicked witches to come close enough to cast any spell.  No, it was much better than that.  The frog changed into a famous pop singer, cuter than Justin Bieber and just as rich.  They started a relationship and now live happily ever after in a mansion in Malibu.

Such is the oldest fairy story, with a little twist.  But what is its meaning?

There are many "ugly frogs" in our modern life.  Your mother-in-law may be one of them.  If you rearrange the letters in 'mother-in-law', it spells 'Hitler woman'.  So how can you 'kiss' such an ugly frog as the traditional mother-in-law?


Sorry, folks, if you want to know the answer to that, you'll have to buy the book!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
"God gives us a pencil for the book of life but He alone holds the eraser."