Today, 22nd February is the 15th day of the Chinese New Year (Chap Goh Meh) and marks the end of the new year celebrations. How fast time flies! This is the night when according to tradition, young girls throw oranges into the sea in order to get good husbands! Well, I'm a little too old for this, so I am content to stay at home and eat my "pengat" - that special dessert eaten on Chap Goh Meh to give a sweet ending to the new year celebrations. It is a delicious concoction of sweet potatoes, yam and banana in gula melaka and coconut milk though in recent times more ingredients have been added to make it more colourful. The Chinese think of everything, don't they, right down to making sure their new year ends on a sweet note! May the rest of your year be joyful, prosperous and of course, sweet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
I've mentioned this before but every time I watch the news over telly, I'm bombarded with all kinds of horror stories - brut...
-
Let nature take its own course. She understands her business better than we do. A priest was in charge of the garden within a fa...
-
It's that time of the year when I think of my feathered friends, yeah, the Christmas turkeys. Hopefully this year, with the pandemic, p...
About Me
- From A Nonya's Pen
- "God gives us a pencil for the book of life but He alone holds the eraser."

No comments:
Post a Comment