Mum used to be very careful about killing pests, no matter how troublesome they can be. Being a practising Buddhist, she tries to avoid unnecessary killing. If she finds ants crawling around food, she will gently pull them away and if they should be killed in the process, she will say to them, "May you all be reborn as human beings". How many of us can do this, I wonder. Most of the time, we just kill pests without a thought, and certainly without worrying about their next birth!
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Mercy Killing?
Mum used to be very careful about killing pests, no matter how troublesome they can be. Being a practising Buddhist, she tries to avoid unnecessary killing. If she finds ants crawling around food, she will gently pull them away and if they should be killed in the process, she will say to them, "May you all be reborn as human beings". How many of us can do this, I wonder. Most of the time, we just kill pests without a thought, and certainly without worrying about their next birth!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
I've mentioned this before but every time I watch the news over telly, I'm bombarded with all kinds of horror stories - brut...
-
It's that time of the year when I think of my feathered friends, yeah, the Christmas turkeys. Hopefully this year, with the pandemic, p...
-
Let nature take its own course. She understands her business better than we do. A priest was in charge of the garden within a fa...
About Me
- From A Nonya's Pen
- "God gives us a pencil for the book of life but He alone holds the eraser."

No comments:
Post a Comment